Two weeks ago we enjoyed the Castlefest festival (like we do every year). Those who visited Castlefest, probably are familiar with the strange nostalgia/”reality smashes you in the face feeling” you get afterwards. After being in the Castlefest world for 4 days, normal life just feels weird and you are longing for an escape from “normal society”. Although it is kind of a sad feeling because you have to wait like a whole year to be back into the castlefest world again, it is also a feeling that gets you somewhere. Because missing the festival makes you wanna invent things that would make your day-to-day life more like the festival-> to make your life nicer. It inspires you to fight for whatever makes you happy and it shows you that everything you want might not be that impossible.
You might think, how on earth am I gonna make my day-to-day life more like castlefest?
I don’t have a lot of money, castles and big pieces of land are too expensive, if I visit the grocery store like a knight, no one will ever take me serious again and I must make money to survive in this society. But nonetheless it is possible to make easy changes to your life that make you feel like you never really left the festival. I will provide you a list full of ideas of what you could do instead of other normal things:
– Instead of going to the gym -> buy some cheap larp swords (20 euro’s) and have a regular sword fight as a sport.
– Instead of ordering pizza/going to the pub/going to a restaurant -> have regular campfire dinner nights, and maybe even play some acoustic music. The best thing to do this is to buy a grill tripod or tripod with a pan 🙂 and use it in nature or in a nice green backyard. Take some candles with you for an amazing atmosphere when it gets dark. Take your music player with you to put on your favorite folk music (tip: Wardruna). I have created a great recipe for campfire beer stew, if you’re interested send a message to email@example.com)
– Pick up the trash you find in nature and throw it in a bin. This will instantly give you a good feeling. You can make a change.
– Instead of walking on the trails/paths through parcs or nature -> leave the path and enter the “real” forest. Watch everything live. Close your eyes for a while and listen to the sound of nature.
– Instead of watching television or being bored -> start a creative project that will make you feel proud when you finish it. (for example: practice viking handcrafts, make a painting, turn your garden into a Paradise or make your house like a castle, start your own herb garden, make your own juwelry, learn to be a blacksmith, learn to play an instrument, learn to brew your own beer or mead etc.) Whilst doing this you can listen to some nice Castlefest vibe music 😀
– Try to make yourself as happy as possible. You shouldn’t punish yourself too much. If you want to eat some cake, you could better make or buy it, instead of hopelessly eating a dozen of other stuff that will never feed your appetite. Make yourself a happy human being,
– Instead of buying useless mass produced stuff and clothes -> try to spend your money on something that will actually make you feel happy or will make you feel more healthy. Maybe visit a nice fantasy medieval event festival or a concert of one of your favorite bands 🙂 I find that experiences are way more valueable than stuff.
– Instead of dressing like everybody else, try to incorporate some castlefest vibe into your day-to-day outfits. Wear some nice celtic rings for example or braid your hair like a warrior. I promise you it will make you feel more complete 😉
This has all made me a happier person. I make conscious descicions towards my goals. I try to live life day by day. I try to follow my dreams and one thing for sure: If I ever own a nice big garden I will create my own tiny Castlefest in it 😀 (uhm guess I’ll do this regardless of my garden’s size)
Enjoy your life!
Do you have other ideas of how to make your life more like castlefest? Please tell us in the comments below!